LED Shelving FAQ
COMMON LED SHELVING QUESTIONS
Why do you sell the shelves and controller kits separate?
This is confusing!
- The reason is to save you money! Because shelves can be jumpered to one another, each one doesn't necessarily need it's own controller kit. (explained below)
How many controllers and power supplies will I need?
- This is a big one. Each power supply and controller can power up to 20 linear feet of shelving.
- Any combination of shelving up to 20 feet will work on one power supply and controller whether it is (10) 2' shelves, (4) 5' shelves or (2) 8' shelves.
Why can I only run 20' of shelving on one power supply and controller?
- Each power supply and controller are only capable of powering so many LEDs over a certain distance.
What happens if I run more than 20'?
- Please don't.The first thing is that you will get voltage drop at the tail end of your entire length. This means that the first sections of shelving will be full brightness and will slowly get dimmer over the length of the run. This effect is most noticeable when the shelving is set to white because it draws substantially more power than any other color.
- The second is that you may overload both your controller and power supply and possibly damage the LEDs in the shelves.
What do I do if I want more than 20' of shelving?
- This is very common and in this case, you will need additional power supplies and controllers. A pair for each 20' length. Note: Having two or more different controllers will make it difficult to sync color changing modes between each different system.
- Alternatively, you can create a power loop by connecting power at both the first shelf and the last shelf. This method requires a 3 Way Splitter and probably additional jumper cables.
- Please note that this is an advanced connection method and should only be done if you can confirm the power supply is not drawing over it's maximum output which is 60 watts.
Where do I put the power supply and controller?
- It depends on where you're putting the shelves. If you're installing them behind your bar or somewhere with cabinetry your best bet is to put both in a nearby cabinet or drawer. If they are free floating in a room it becomes more difficult. A lot of our customers simply hide both behind whatever it is they put on the shelves.
How do I hide the wires between the shelves?
- The best way is to put them inside the walls or adjacent cabinets. If this isn't an option, then the only thing you can really do is run them on the wall and disguise/paint them.***Always check your local electrical codes or consult with an electrician before running cables through your walls. Do not put the power supply inside your wall or in any very confined space
How are these floating shelves mounted?
- All of our shelves use the same satin nickel mounting bracket. There are two different sizes. Small for 4.5" deep shelves and large for 9" deep, wine rack shelves and curved shelves.
How much weight can these shelves hold?
- Each bracket is rated to 30 lbs (assuming you're screwing into studs) which is more than any amount of bottles you could fit on it. However, we would advise against doing something like stacking bricks on these shelves.
What if my brackets don't line up with my studs?
- Although these brackets come with plastic drywall anchors, if you're planning to use these shelves to display heavy items like bottles, we recommend getting heavier duty anchors (toggle bolts) from the hardware store just to be safe.
What if I don't need the brackets?
- If you're installing your shelves inside a cabinet or have some other kind of support, be sure to contact us before you order as we will subtract the cost of the brackets from the price of the shelves.
Can you make me shelves deeper than 9 inches?
- We can make shelves any size you want. However, we will not include brackets for any shelves that are deeper than 9" as they may not support the weight of what could potentially be put on a deeper shelf.
STILL HAVE QUESTIONS? If you still have questions about our LED Shelving, please don't hesitate to contact us!